Sunday, November 2, 2008

Nonverbal Narrative, pt 1

This Nike spot, directed by David Fincher and shot by Emmanuel Lubezki, will make me drop whatever I'm doing to watch. I find it mesmerizing. But I am struck by the possible opacity in narrative.

The only constants are running and hair length. As this posting is concerned with better understanding the student with AS, I am forced to wonder how this ad is 'read' by someone with such a diagnosis. Is the long hair of Troy Polamalu enough to secure a string of actions? Or could the spot be perceived as a variety of athletic individuals, whose only connection is their being in the same commercial?

I plan to observe my students this coming week to compile some feedback.

1 comment:

Pete Curran said...

An update on this post: after four classes viewed the commercial, grades 4, 8, 9 and 11, only three students were able to "correctly" decipher the narrative of the spot. I was taken aback by this overwhelming sense of confusion given the popularity of the ad. I will update as the week proceeds.