Saturday, November 22, 2008

Hidden Curriculum on Linen

Today I saw this Greg Drasler image on my advisor's door. I enjoyed its tie to my work on the Hidden Curriculum. It's such a stark example of how a simple decision (in this case turning an extra 90 degrees) can isolate an individual. It brings to mind my experiences in the classroom when a student stands out for a glaring change from the norm, like asking for gloves or refusing to work in anything but clay or making every project end up looking like the same Pokemon character. It's a glitch at the time, but, like in this image, it's the straying from the norm that cements itself in my memory.

Drasler says of his work, "Knowing a painting as an object and as a site, I can understand them as environments making objects into places. To me it suggests a threshold. The perception of an object as an environment or place, a familiar state of being with both its own inertia and its own drive, thrills and confronts me as a maker, a viewer, and a subject."

Thinking about the hidden curriculum as an environment seems to be an interesting angle. I'll have to mull this one over a bit.

No comments: